It is possible to have healthy, shiny looking hair without endless hours at the salon and without overspending on expensive hair products. With only a few changes to your hair care routine, and the right products you can have glistening tresses in no time at all.
Here are a few easy-to-follow tips:
- Stay hydrated. Drinking plenty of water ensures that your hair is moisturized from the inside out. Drink at least 6-8 glasses of water each day.
- Get a glossing treatment. For a really great shine, consider a professional glossing treatment. These are often done after a hair coloring treatment to give hair greater color depth, but they actually have no pigmentation and can be used without the color treatment. You may also be able to get a hair glossing treatment kit and do it yourself, without a trip to the salon.
- Avoid harsh chemicals. Don’t abuse your hair with harsh chemicals, such as chlorine in pools, and lye-based hair relaxing products. Avoid heat styling as much as possible, and products that contain alcohol, both of which dry out the hair and strip its shine.
- Wash with cool water. Hot water can dry out the hair and leave it dull. After shampooing and conditioning, use cool water to rinse. Cool water closes the cuticle, allowing light to reflect off the hair and make it look shiny.
- Use hair serums. For frizzy or unruly hair, use a shine serum, which is especially formulated to give hair a sleek sheen. Your local drugstore or hair salon will likely have what you need. Hair serums moisturize the hair with a light concentration of oils and silicone. Use a pea-size amount on hair, rubbing with hands from the bottom up.
- Try leave-in conditioners. Regular conditioners work well, but for really shiny hair, try using a leave-in conditioner. These come in both spray-on and lotion forms. Use only a small amount and start at the bottom of hair, working up, rubbing into wet hair.
- Spray-on the shine. For dry, dull hair, try using a spray-on shine product, like a hair mist, which can be sprayed on dry hair.
8 Beware of blow-drying. All the heat from blow-drying can be damaging. When
blow-drying hair, direct the nozzle down the hair shaft as you hold each hair section with a round brush. Finish drying with the blow-dryer setting on cool. This has a similar effect as rinsing with cool water after shampooing.
9 Use a silicone flatiron. A flatiron can straighten hair, which tends to looks shinier than wavy hair. But, overusing a flatiron can leave hair dry and damaged – just like a blow-dryer. Flatirons made with silicone built into the plates are less damaging than typical ceramic or metal irons. For , numerous trips to the salon are not necessary. Neither are expensive products that may or may not work. With some inexpensive, minor tweaking to your hair routine, you can have great hair any day. Many trusted brands are readily available to help you achieve your desired results.
10 Eat nutritious foods. Not only does your diet and intake of vitamins effect your skin, it also has a strong influence on your hair. You need your daily recommended doses of vitamin A and E for shiny, healthy hair. Also, eat plenty of protein – eggs and nuts are ideal sources of protein – for hair growth.
For healthy-looking, shiny hair, numerous trips to the salon are not necessary. Neither are expensive products that may or may not work. With some inexpensive, minor tweaking to your hair routine, you can have great hair any day. Many trusted brands are readily available to help you achieve your desired results.